Applications for 2021 residencies will be accepted February 1–March 13, 2020.
Arts/Industry has been doing something remarkable for over 40 years—connecting artists with the resources, technology, and materials of Kohler Co., and providing a place to explore new ideas, processes, and perspectives. Artists from all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Each year, up to twelve artists are selected for residencies in the Pottery or Foundry areas of the factory through a competitive jury process. No experience with clay or cast metal is required, just an interest in pursuing a new body of work and being open to new ideas.
Arts/Industry residencies are three months in length and divided into three cohorts. There are four artists-in-residence in each cohort‑two in Pottery and two in Foundry. Residents are expected to commit to the full three-month period.
Artists-in-residence receive 24-hour access to studio space, industrial materials, use of equipment, technical assistance, photographic services, housing, round-trip transportation, and a modest weekly stipend.
No entry fee. Application materials must include:
- Twenty work sample images in jpg format.
- A résumé/CV (three pages maximum)
- A written project proposal (250 words or less) articulating what your vision would be if given the opportunity to work in the factory.
- Three images supporting project proposal in jpg format
- One letter of recommendation
- Two professional references
For more information contact the Arts/Industry Administrative Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org
The John Michael Kohler Arts Center is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Arts/Industry application materials must include:
- 20 images of the artist’s work
- A résumé/CV (3 pages maximum)
- A written project proposal (250 words or less)
- Images supporting project proposal (3 images maximum)
- 1 letter of recommendation
- 2 professional references